|Over 32,500 civilians flee uncleared areas|
|Thursday, 12 February 2009|
The Government yesterday said over 32,500 civilians out of the total population of 113, 832 in the Mullaitivu district have fled uncleared areas and sought protection with the Forces.
Media Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said 6,000 civilians have arrived per day in cleared areas since last week and the Government has launched a comprehensive program to ensure their safety and welfare.
The Minister said the number of civilians coming to cleared areas have seen a drastic rise since last week despite a series of terrorist atrocities by the LTTE targeting members of their own community.
These civilians, initially accommodated at temporary camps, are taken to welfare villages where all facilities have been made available for them within two days, the Minister said.
Senior Presidential Advisor Basil Rajapaksa MP is personally looking into the welfare and safety of these civilians and special programs are in place to take the injured civilians to the Anuradhapura and Vavuniya hospitals, he said.
Minister Abeywardena said the Government has not received funds from any local or international organisation to continue this program and sought financial assistance from civil society organisations to be channelled for this through the Government.
“No international or local organisation provided funds for this program. It is the Government that funds this program. We expect financial assistance from civil society organisations to make this program a success.”
|Last Updated ( Friday, 09 October 2009 )|
|< Prev||Next >|