Those who wish to visit Sri Lanka on diplomatic / official purposes should obtain a diplomatic / official visa before leaving for Sri Lanka, irrespective the length of their stay. They should forward the following documents to the Consulate to obtain prior approval from Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo, minimum 3 weeks prior to the visit.
Document required for diplomatic/official Visas:
1. Note Verbale issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant’s country or
the official institution represented by the applicant
2. A dully filled and signed visa application (click here to download the Visa Application).
3. One recent passport size colour photo
4. A valid passport or laissez-passer with at least one unused visa page.
The passport / laissez-passer should be valid for at least six months from the date of
entry into Sri Lanka
5. Applicants, who are not Swiss passport holders should produce a valid Residence Permit in
Diplomatic / official visas are issued on gratis basis, after obtaining prior approval from Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo and in consultation with the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo.
Diplomatic / official passport holders should not apply tourist ETA for their official visits or to engage in any official assignment in Sri Lanka.
Diplomatic and Official passport holders should follow the normal ETA application procedure for their personal visits.