The former British Prime Minister Tony Blair said that he will stand by Sri Lanka to correct the misconceptions about the country within the international community. He made these observations when he met with President Maithripala Sirisena at the...
President Maithripala Sirisena returned to Sri Lanka on Monday (27th July) afternoon concluding his State Visit to Maldives for the 50th Anniversary of Independence. President Sirisena was accorded a ceremonial welcome in Maldives. He attended the official...
The Group of Fifteen (G-15), a Summit level organisation of developing countries from Asia, Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean, currently chaired by Sri Lanka has taken an initiative to...
Sri Lanka and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) have entered into an agreement to begin cooperation between CERN and the scientific community in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka‘s Permanent...
Sri Lanka has highlighted the importance of enhancing public investment in education as an essential prerequisite to ensure right to education. It was noted that the new Government has pledged to...
The newly appointed Sri Lanka Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the World Trade Organization (WTO) Mr. R.D.S. Kumararatne, formally Director General of Commerce of the Department of...
Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka
to the World Trade Organisation
• Master of Business Leadership (MBL): University of South Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1999-2002.
• Bachelor of Commerce (Hons), 1st Class: University of Sri Jayawardenepura, Sri Lanka, 1979-1983, Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Highest achievement of the Faculty of Management
• Certificate in Management: John Cabot University, Rome, Italy, 06th November 2005- 23rd May 2006, Rome, Italy.
Other Professional Achievements
• Diploma in WTO Regional Trade Policy Course – 18th May to 7th August 2009, at National University of Singapore.
• Master Class on EU Export Promotion for Economic Diplomats – 29th October to 2nd November 2012, The Hague, the Netherlands, CBI
• WTO/ESCAP Advanced Regional Seminar on the GATS - 4-7 May 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia by WTO/UN ESCAP
• Proliferation Awareness Workshop - 17-18 December 2008, in Croatia by National Nuclear Security Administration, USA.
• 10th Asia-Pacific Regional Public International Trade Law - 7-28 November 2010, Sydney, Australia by The International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
• European Commission, In House Training Programme - 21 January to 20th February 1987, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.
• Japan International Cooperation Agency (JAICA) Trade Promotion Programme, 25th May 1992 to 02nd July 1992, Tokyo, Japan.
• Certificate Course on Computer Studies, November 1997, Oracle Education Services Center, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
• Computer Training Programme on E-Commerce for SME Development & Marketing by Colombo Plan Secretariat, in New Delhi, India.
• Certificate programme of French Language, by Counseil des E`coles Catholiques, Ottawa, Canada.
• The Distinguished Thesis Award presented by World Trade Center of Japan, 02 July 1992.
Joined the Department of Commerce, the focal point of WTO in Sri Lanka, as an Assistant Director of Commerce on 15.11.1985 and completed almost 30 years of service. Held the position of Director General of Commerce of the Department of Commerce since 03.10.2013 until the assumption of duties as Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland on 1st June 2015.