|Truth about Allegations of Shelling by Sri Lanka Army|
|Sunday, 10 May 2009|
LTTE mortar fire kills fleeing civilians as another 1000 break out of captivity
Top Defense sources in Colombo told the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the UN in Geneva that over 1000 civilians broke out of the conflict zone at the Mullaitivu end over the last 24 hours. The LTTE sentries, initially overwhelmed, recovered and opened fire on the fleeing civilians.
The sentry was then heard on intercepted radio communications calling the LTTE command centre for reinforcements. The LTTE responded with mortar fire which fell within the conflict zone. Around 250 were injured or killed due a combination of fire opened by LTTE sentry and mortar fire. However, more than 750 managed to make it out to safety.
The doctors in the conflict zone were heard on intercepted communications saying that they had no facilities to treat the badly wounded numbering about 250.
The incident was widely reported in the international news media which quotes a website well known as a Tiger disinformation outlet accusing the government forces of killing civilians. A health official who is in the Tiger controlled area was quoted by the BBC as having said that so far 378 civilian have been killed by shelling from the Sri Lankan army. Sources in Colombo said that the health official is in no position to give an independent account as he is virtually another captive of the Tigers.
Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the United Nations
|Last Updated ( Sunday, 10 May 2009 )|
|< Prev||Next >|