|Military troops have slowed down operations: Sri Lanka|
|Thursday, 19 February 2009|
Colombo (PTI): Amid international appeals for caution, the Sri Lankan government has said its troops have slowed down operations in the remaining Tiger pockets to safeguard civilians trapped in those areas.
In order to safeguard the lives of the civilians, the military is taking utmost precautions, Sri Lanka's Disaster Management and Human Rights Minister Mahinda Samarasinghe said responding to a question on whether the advancement by the military has slowed down.
The UN and other international bodies have repeatedly called on the Sri Lankan government forces as well as the rebels to refrain from fighting in areas of civilian concentration.
The appeals were reiterated following reports that weekend clashes in a 'safe zone' in the northern Wanni region has led to more deaths and injuries.
The Minister said that the suspected LTTE attack on the Wanni civilians last week has also led to a steep decline in the exodus of civilians from the Tiger-held areas to the army controlled regions in the last few days.
Samarasinghe also said there was an over-estimation of the figures of civilians having crossed over into the "liberated areas" as some of the families have been counted more than once.
|Last Updated ( Friday, 09 October 2009 )|
|< Prev||Next >|