|Focus shifts to Mullathivu: Colombo|
|Tuesday, 09 December 2008|
B. Muralidhar Reddy
COLOMBO: The Sri Lankan military on Monday claimed that three “senior LTTE cadres” who fought for the outfit for more than a decade have surrendered to Army.
The Defence Ministry said here the three LTTE cadres aged between 25-30 years showed themselves up to soldiers operating in the Pooneryn area and laid down their weapons.
“The surrendered have told the Army that thousands more LTTE cadres are waiting for an opportunity to abandon the terrorist outfit,” the Ministry claimed.
There was no word from the LTTE on the Ministry’s claim.
The Ministry said the “strategic focus” of the counter operations in Wanni shifted from Kilinochchi to Mullathivu battlefront since last week as the troops started sweeping down the A-34 (Mankulam Mullathivu) road that leads to the last bastion of the LTTE.
It said troops confronted the Tiger cadres at least in six locations in the east of Olumadu town and claimed that the LTTE had suffered heavy casualties.
“The LTTE cadres had shown very little will to fight when confronted with the Army.”
Troops advancing towards the LTTE’s main military bastion in Mullathivu carried out several attacks at LTTE groups detected in the north of Alampil area.
In a report posted on its website, the LTTE complained that Mullaivalai in the Mullathivu district is the “latest target of the SLA [Army] tactic of deliberate shelling” into civilian areas to force displacement.
Courtesy: The Hindu
|Last Updated ( Thursday, 23 July 2009 )|
|< Prev||Next >|